Touch Sensations

This is A Touch.

"Research suggests that, though there are four main types of receptors, there are many others along a wide spectrum of response. After all, our palette of feelings through touch is more elaborate than just hot, cold, pain and pressure. Many touch receptors combine to produce what we call a twinge. Consider all the varieties of pain, irritation, abrasion, bruising, tingling, brushing, scratching, banging, fumbling, kissing, nudging."

- Diane Ackerman, A Natural History of the Senses

     After reading this engaging speculation by Ackerman, I decided to represent how I felt and thought about touch. I wanted to know how far I could stretch the extremes of touch; but I couldn't do that on myself, in fear of inflicting pain. Pain is its own sensory monster which Ackerman tackles in later sections of the chapter. For my demonstration and study of these sensations, I asked myself, "what have I always wanted to feel, but realistically had the intolerance, inability, or otherwise common sense not to attempt?" I produced a mold of my hand from masking tape, and the link that follows is the result of my inquiry.

The Extent of Sensation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood Sculptures

Floating Architecture

3D to 2D